Bug Off!

As a homemaker, I try to keep as many chemicals out of my home as possible. One thing I started to get more and more bothered by was the chemicals we put on our skin! It is amazing to think of all the junk that can be in simple things such as bug spray that we know is not good for us…I mean look at the warning label on the OFF! Deep Woods:

CAUTION: Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes. Harmful if swallowed. Use of this product may cause skin reactions in rare cases. Wash treated clothing before wearing it again. Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. FIRST AID: Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center or doctor, or going for treatment. If in eyes: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15- 20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice. If swallowed: Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. If you suspect a reaction to this product, discontinue use, wash treated skin, and call your local poison control center. PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL HAZARDS: FLAMMABLE: Contents under pressure. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 120 F may cause bursting. Do not expose treated surfaces near fire or flame until dry.

I never knew after wearing OFF! I would have to wash my clothes before wearing again…how many people wear jeans more than one time (especially if camping) before washing them…and do you wash your hands after handling your bug spray? Well great news! YOU DON’T HAVE TO! I have a mosquito repellant that is actually effective and completely edible, believe it or not! No toxic chemicals and no funky smell! I got this recipe from survivingthestores.com off of pinterest and I have used it the past three years now!

So all you have to have is:

1/2 cup lemon juice
4 tablespoons of vanilla extract
15 drops of lavender essential oil
1 1/4 c. water
Spray bottle

2016-08-29 19.06.04

All you have to do is measure out your ingredients, add them to a bottle, mix it up and bam! Mosquito repellant!

2016-08-29 19.09.25

Yes I do realize it is in a windex bottle, it has been washed multiple times and is now used as my spray bottle for my mosquito repellant! You could always buy a new bottle but repurposing well washed bottles, that I used before I went more natural in my cleaning, is much cheaper and a good way to recycle.

I hope you give this mosquito repellant a try if you don’t have your own recipe already! Let me know what you think!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s